Founded in 1902, Byrdcliffe is one of the earliest utopian art communities in America. Located approximately 2 hours north of New York City in the unique community of Woodstock, NY, Byrdcliffe has welcomed artists like Eva Hesse, Bob Dylan, Philip Guston, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and hundreds more to and live and work surrounded by the serene beauty of the Catskill Mountains on a 250-acre property.
Residency options include communal three and a half week sessions and independent 5 month long residencies during the summer months, and 3-5 month long independent cottage residencies during the winter. The primary criterion for acceptance to Byrdcliffe’s AiR program is artistic excellence and demonstrated commitment to one’s field of endeavor. Artists working in a range of disciplines are welcome to apply including visual arts, writing, weaving, ceramics, music composition, darkroom photo, digital photo, filmmaking, theater, and more.
More information about Byrdcliffe's artists-in-residence programs can be found on our website:
Or visit our FAQ page:
Byrdcliffe is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons. Emerging and established artists of all ages 18+ and backgrounds including women, LGBTQIA+, people of color, and other historically underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
Byrdcliffe has a limited number of bedrooms, bathrooms, and studio spaces that are accessible. We aim to create accessibility for all, and welcome contact with applicants as early in the process as possible to ensure we are prepared to meet the needs of any prospective residents. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Regretfully Byrdcliffe is unable to accommodate children at this time. Only certified service animals can be accommodated.
Accommodations consist of simple historic arts & crafts style cottages clustered together in a close to nature forest setting.
Thank you for applying for a winter cottage residency at Byrdcliffe in Woodstock, New York.
This application requires you to upload a few things which you might want to have on hand before beginning the application:
- CV or creative resume
- Work samples relative to your discipline
You will also need to provide:
- Two references' contact information (plus, optional letter of recommendation)
- A Brief bio, artist statement, and project proposal for what you’d like to work on while in-residence.
A couple things to note before applying:
- All cottage residents need to have a car during their stay.
- Due to the historic nature of our buildings, only certified service animals can be accommodated.
- Byrdcliffe has a limited number of bedrooms, bathrooms, and studio spaces that are accessible. We welcome contact with applicants as early in the process as possible to ensure we are prepared to meet the needs of any prospective residents.
For questions or further information on the Byrdcliffe Artist-in-Residence Program and application, consult www.woodstockguild.org or email email@example.com.